Meeting point of the stars
The building which houses the ELLINGTON HOTEL BERLIN was always a haunt for major personalities. Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald and our namesake Duke Ellington played in the legendary “Badewanne”. Davie Bowie, Romy Haag and Lou Reed partied in the just as legendary “Dschungel” and old UFA heroes from the German film industry such as Günter Pfitzmann and Edith Hancke once graced the stage of the “Berliner Theater”.
An architectural treasure
The address of the ELLINGTON HOTEL BERLIN has a place in the heart of every Berlin architectural guide. This is because the “Haus Nürnberg”, as it was originally called, was created between 1928 and 1931 as a result of the groundbreaking construction works of Berlin architect Erich Mendelsohn. The arguably longest, most noticeable and one of the most beautiful facades in Berlin displays, amongst other things, building entrances and display windows which are encased in brass.
Charm of the late twenties
The moment you enter the hotel, the charm of the late twenties and early thirties is apparent, as it has been preserved in the stairways and in certain rooms.
On the 1st October 1929, the former “Femina-Palast” opened as “Das Ballhaus Berlins” (The Berlin Ballroom). In 1932 it was introduced to the German architectural community as the “newest entertainment venue in Berlin”.